Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Kinect for Developers
Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM - Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM (CST)
What could you build with the XBox Kinect? Well we want to know!
Connect your Kinect to your PC and build an application using your favorite .NET language.
Kinect for Developers is a 2-day workshop for developers, artists and technicians interested in Kinect hacking or 3D scanning. This hands on workshop will teach you the basics of programming for Kinect and the potentials for developing on video and depth sensor cameras. Expect live demonstrations, presentations, food, and lots of hacking. You can come pitch your idea, form a team, build your application over the weekend and compete for awesome prizes.
Additionally, 2-weeks after the workshop, come back for a fast-pitch to AT&T for a chance to collaborate with the AT&T Foundry. During this 2-week break, developers can continue to work in teams or work on their own Kinect applications. Deadline for submitting your application to fast-pitch to the Foundry is February 8th.
Kinect for Developers is brought to you by Microsoft, AT&T Foundry and Gravity Center.
Keynote Presentation by Tim Huckaby
Tim Huckaby (http://www.timhuckaby.com, http://interknowlogy.com) is focused on the Natural User Interface (NUI)- Touch, Gesture, and Neural in Rich Client Technologies like HTML5, Silverlight, WPF, & IOS on a broad spectrum of devices that include computers, tablets, the Surface, the Kinect, and mobile devices.
Tim has been called a “Pioneer of the Smart Client Revolution” by the press. Tim has been awarded many times for the highest rated technical presentations and keynotes for Microsoft and many other technology conferences around the world. Tim is consistently rated in the top 10% of all speakers at these events. Tim has been on stage with, and done numerous keynote demos for many Microsoft executives including Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
Labs & Code Presentations by Ben Barefield
During the day, Ben Barefield works as a software consultant for SRT Solutions where he works with clients to transform their needs into excellent software. At SRT he has spent learning time exploring many languages and technologies and continually expands his .Net knowledge for client work. His not-so-secret evening identity as a game developer has created games that have been popular with his friends and family.
"Kinect Hacks - Beyond Just Games"
Jeremy Johnson is a Director of User Experience for a Fortune 500 company. He is passionate about technology, mobile trends, and all things the Internet. He also enjoys art, photography, travel, and gaming. Learn more about Jeremy here: http://www.jeremyjohnsononline.com.
Some interesting applications for the Kinect:
- Code Space, looks to include Kinect in conference rooms, PTA meetings
- The Kinect Effect How The World is Using Kinect
- Kinect hack: a grocery cart that loyally follows disabled shoppers
- Mirror, mirror: The New York Times wants to serve you info as you’re brushing your teeth
Tentative Schedule: On Saturday we will focus on getting you up to speed on developing for the Kinect with a series of presentations and hands on labs. On Sunday we will break up into teams and you will have a chance to build an application with the Kinect where help will be available just in case. At the end of the day we will demo what we have worked on. Catered Lunch and snacks will be provided both days.
- Saturday Jan 28 9 AM – 10 AM: Registration, networking, coffee
- Saturday Jan 28 10 AM – 11 AM: Welcome, Kinect Demos from the Community
- Saturday Jan 28 11 AM – Noon: Keynote by Tim Huckaby
- Saturday Jan 28 Noon – 1 PM: Catered Lunch
- Saturday Jan 28 1 PM – 5 PM: Instruction & Hands on labs
- Sunday Jan 29 9 AM – Noon: Build an app with your team with advisors to help you over any rough parts.
- Sunday Jan 29 Noon – 1 PM: Catered Lunch
- Sunday Jan 29 1 PM – 3 PM: Build an app with your team with advisors to help you over any rough parts.
- Sunday Jan 29 3 PM – 5 PM: Demo what you have built
Sold Out !!!
Please put your name on our wait list and you will be notified if space opens up.
What you will need:
- Basic understanding of .NET Development
- Kinect software and Visual Studio – you can download this for free from Microsoft, however follow the instructions carefully. http://kinectforwindows.org/download
- Kinect (optional – we will be working in teams and will have one available for each team)
- If you got a Kinect with xBox bundle you will also need an external powersupply (http://amzn.to/yALIcx), Kinects purchased seperatly should come with a powersupply in the box
- If you got a new Kinect and have never plugged it into an xBox you will need to do so to get a firmware upgrade
When & Where
A Shawn Weisfeld Event